Which program is right for my child?
The Averill Park Youth Soccer League offers a variety of levels of play in our effort to meet our goal of teaching soccer to the youth in our community. Our recreational programs, offered in fall and spring, feature teams made up of youth within our community that play each other locally. Teams are co-ed, coached by volunteers and all children get equal playing time and the opportunity to try all different positions. Local high school students are employed as referees. Children are taught basic soccer skills at the younger levels, with a greater emphasis on team play as they get older. These leagues are appropriate for players of all skill levels, from beginners to skilled players who still enjoy a recreational setting to compete with their classmates. These programs are also a great opportunity for you to give back to the community by volunteering to help coach. For more specific information about each season’s timeframe, click on the specific season you are interested in.
For players seeking more competition and a greater focus on training, we also offer our competitive teams. These teams require a greater financial and time commitment for our soccer families. The competitive teams are coached by licensed or professional coaches. Except for at the under 8 level, our competitive teams are gender specific. A child wishing to play on one of our competitive teams should have mastered basic soccer skills and must be willing to work hard to improve his or her skills. Players are required to purchase uniforms to play on these teams at a cost of approximately $60-$80. For more specific information about these programs, please click on the specific competitive season you are interested in.
Fall Recreational Soccer includes:
- 8 weeks of outdoor play for children who are age eligible to begin Kindergarten through 8th grade students
- One practice on a weeknight, typically 60 to 90 minutes at Averill Park High School, Algonquin Middle School, or Miller Hill Elementary School
- One game on Sunday at the Averill Park High School
- Children are placed at a level of play by grade. Our divisions are: Pre-K/Kindergarten, Grades 1 & 2, Grades 3 &4, Grades 5 & 6, Grades 7 & 8
- Grades 7 & 8 have a slightly different, "pick up" format rather than individual teams but still practice and have games each week
- Children receive t-shirt, certificates and a pizza party at the end of the season
Registration typically occurs mid-June through July. After July 31 there is a one week late sign up period, and after that date team placement cannot be guaranteed, but you can join a wait-list pending openings within a division.
Spring Recreational Soccer Program:
- 6 weeks of outdoor play from children age eligible to have begun Kindergarten the previous fall through Grade 6
- Commitment is one night per week, a 30-60 minute practice followed by a game at the Miller Hill Elementary School
- Children are placed at a level of play by Grade in the following manner: Grades K & 1 , grades 2 & 3, and grades 4, 5 & 6
- Children receive team t-shirts, and a certificate at the end of the season
- The APYSL Travel Program has been developed to provide coaching for those soccier players who seek to train and play at a higher level than offered through our recreational soccer league. If your child has played at least one season of recreational soccer and has expressed an interest in a more competitive level of soccer, our soccer program may be suitable for your child. Players should demonstrate a higher level of ability and interest and families should understand that a greater commitment is required through attendance at practice and games. Levels U8 - U17.